Monday, June 20, 2016

The Probability of Aquinas

A short post today while I’m enjoying Ireland. Just before the trip, I read some of Thomas Aquinas’s views on the end times, and it struck me how often he used the word “probably.” All will probably know the hearts of everyone else, so that everyone can appreciate God’s judgment and mercy. God will probably judge everyone mentally in an instant rather than literally reading aloud from the books of judgment. (Considering the fact that the Last Judgment marks the beginning of Eternity, I don’t understand Aquinas’s concern that a verbal Judgment Day would last too long.) Christ will probably descend near Mount Olivet, since He ascended from there. I wish current Christian discourse on eschatology showed as much intellectual humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment